A man in Russia was taken to the hospital when he complained of severe pains in his chest. Doctors thought he had a tumor in his lungs and did surgery, only to find a small fir tree growing throughout the organ. Some think this is a hoax, but that has never been proven.
A bulldog named Prince Edward took too much of a liking to his owner's dentures. Apparently the dentures were removed surgically, the dog was fine, and the owner got his teeth back (though I'm not sure I would want those anymore).
Patrick Lawler is a construction worker who went to the doctor complaining about a toothache. An X-ray showed he had somehow embedded a four inch nail into his skull when using a nail gun several days earlier. The really scary part is that Lawler had no idea that he'd done this. How does that even happen??
Simon Hooper thought an effective way to get his girlfriend a ring was to steal it by swallowing it. He was caught by police when they ran a metal detector over his stomach. To the future Mrs. Hooper: maybe ask twice before you put a ring from Simon on your finger. You don't know where it's been.
Margaret Daalman swallowed an entire set of cutlery; 78 pieces of metalware, forks and spoons. It was a compulsive habit she couldn't explain but, eventually, it caused her to have great stomach pain. (Huh! imagine that!) She was rushed into emergency surgery and all 78 pieces of cutlery were recovered and Ms. Daalman was okay.
A man went to the doctor complaining of a swollen foot, only to find out he had a parasitic worm living inside his ankle, and that it had most likely been there for years. The X-ray found two pieces of "guinea worm," parasites that can grow up to one meter long. The parasite infects people when they drink water infected with the larva. Female worms usually start in the abdomen and move to the legs and feet before they exit through the skin.
The pain caused by the parasite often causes people to try to sooth it with water, but if female worms come into contact with water, they will release the larvae, which sets off a whole new cycle of life for the parasites. In a word, "Ew."
An eight-year old kid, Haley Lents from Indiana, swallowed ten magnets and twenty steel balls from a Magnetix Toy Set because they looked like candy. Unfortunately, the magnets attracted, tearing several holes in her intestines.
Amy Preston was jogging while carrying her keys in her hands and landed on them when she fell, embedding her souvenir Eiffel Tower keychain in her hand. I have the same exact keychain! Good thing I never, ever, EVER jog.