Your house is probably a little dirty. You're only human, after all, and there's no such thing as "perfectly clean." But it's also likely that your house is dirtier than you realize day to day. There's mold and scum hiding in a lot of places you don't necessarily have to look at all the time. And, sometimes, filth hides in plain sight. We'll give you a few examples. It shouldn’t surprise you that your bathroom is ground zero for mold and mildew. By definition, it’s the room in your house where warm moisture is constantly spraying everywhere. You’ve been ignoring that grime in the shower so long, you don’t even realize anymore that it’s there.
Cleaning mold and mildew from your shower walls isn’t too complicated. Spray them with warm water, then wipe them down with a solution of of three-quarters of a cup of bleach to a gallon of water. Then rinse with more warm water.
It shouldn’t be too hard to keep mold off your clothes, but sometimes it happens if you store them poorly. Or, more likely, you accidentally left them in the washing machine too long, or didn’t dry them thoroughly. Oops. Now they’re a moldy mess.
Even if you normally wash in cold water, make an exception to clear up moldy clothes. Put them through two cycles of hot water and detergent. If the clothes are bleachable, go ahead and use bleach. If not, try a cup or two of vinegar added to a full washing machine.
Every morning, you leave your coffee maker full of warm moisture. You think that won’t get nasty? Think again. A 2011 study showed that half of home coffee makers are loaded with yeast and mold. Gross.
Guys, clean your coffee makers. Once a month, fill your machine with vinegar and let that sit for about half an hour. Run a cycle using the vinegar. Then run a few more cycles using clean water. Presto.
For tools like makeup sponges, your old friends hot water and vinegar can save the day. But if your makeup itself is moldy, throw it away. Next time, store your makeup properly so that won’t happen again.
Other than your bathroom, this is one of the least surprising places in your house to find mold. Things spill, drip and just exist past their expiration dates. And how often do you clean all your fridge’s little nooks and crannies? That’s right: never.
If you really want to clean your fridge the right way, you have to empty it. And that doesn’t mean just the food, but all the drawers and shelves too. Don’t be lazy; get in there. Elbow grease. Use it.
You think your toddler’s sippy cup is clean because you rinsed it or even washed it. But did you remember to take out that rubber seal and really clean all inside it? No, and now it’s collected a bunch of sugary juice, baby spit, bacteria and mold. F---ing yuck.
First things first: If you can avoid it, don’t buy a sippy cup with crevices and crannies that you’ll never be able to reach and clean. Also, follow the proper instructions for cleaning the cup you bought. Yeah, you probably ignored those, because who needs instructions for cleaning a cup? You do, idiot parent.
You went and did it. You bought one of those expensive electric toothbrushes because good old stick-and-bristles wasn’t fancy enough for you. Now you’ve got a toothbrush with a bunch of moving parts, and the only thing you replace is the head. Guess what it collects.
Your electric toothbrush, unlike a stick-and-bristles, has insides that collect water to created a mold breeding ground. You’ll need to give it more than a rinse. Once every week or two, wash your electric toothbrush in a solution of 2 tablespoons vinegar, 2 tablespoons baking soda and half a cup of water.
Look, your kids are disgusting. They touch everything, and they put everything in their mouths. They’re dirty and sticky and covered with germs. And so, therefore, are there stupid toys. And if their toys have nooks and crannies, you’re probably growing molds science hasn’t even discovered yet.
If your kids’ toys can be opened, open them. Clean them out. You know the drill by now: hot water and vinegar. It’ll be nasty, but don’t wait so long to do this next time, and it won’t be so nasty. Even if you’re dealing with a solid toy that doesn’t break up into pieces, give it a good once-over with those disinfecting wipes.