No one bought marbles. No one played the actual marble game. And yet, you definitely had a bunch of marbles. They were great for sticking your hand in and messing around, spilling on the floor and sucking on until you accidentally swallowed them.
Stepping on them wasn't the only dangerous thing about them. Despite the multiple perils associated with Lego bricks, they have not waned in popularity. I guess they're so fun that the related injuries are worth it.
There was no greater joy than being handed a quarter in the mall, running up to the machine and exchanging it for a handful of Chiclets. There was no greater challenge than shoving them all in your mouth at once before the colors got all over your hand. And there was no more panicky feeling than that of one or two sliding down your throat without having been incorporated into the gum wad yet. Ah, being young.
Those little magnetic balls and other bite-sized pieces of metal that strongly attract each other isn't the first thing that comes to mind when you think, "appropriate toy for children." But there we were, seeing if two buckyballs would still stick to each other if our tongue was between them.
Barbie was not complete without her hairbrush, headbands, high heel shoes, earrings, and other teeny-tiny objects with sharp points. Worse than realizing you swallowed one of Barbie's shoes, however, was coming to terms with the fact that Barbie would have to forever limp around her Dream House.
Aqua Dots were not only a choking hazard, they were also revealed to be extremely toxic! So once you accidentally swallowed them, you had to worry about getting dizzy, vomiting and passing out, because it was found that the coating metabolized into GHB, otherwise known as the date-rape drug.