Imagine this: You're winding down from a long day in your backyard Jacuzzi with your significant other. You are finally feeling relaxed and step out to go inside. On your way in, you pick up what you thought was a rope dog toy on the floor to throw to your dog.
Well this is what happened to Carla Rosso of Calabasas, CA last week. And she didn’t just pick up any old snake. She picked up a baby rattlesnake. That’s right. She picked up a baby rattlesnake. She is lucky to be alive and so is her dog.
The whole thing was captured on surveillance footage. You can see in the video that after Carla leaves her husband Ariel in the Jacuzzi, she puts on her robe and goes to go inside. She reaches down for what she thought was her dog Duchess’ rope toy and quickly drops it after she feels that it wasn’t the dog’s toy at all.
She had the whole baby rattlesnake completely in one hand and then she panicked! She dropped it and bolts out of the frame! Can you blame her? Duchess, confused as to what just happened, just follows her to come to her aid.
In a panic, the couple called the Los Angeles County Fire Department to come to the rescue. The firefighters “destroyed” the snake and warned her that baby rattlers are even more dangerous than adults.
They can be even more dangerous because they can't control their venom. They also aren’t as recognizable as adult rattlesnakes because they are "rattleless" until they first shed their skin. Because of this, there is no “chica chica” noise, so you may not be able to tell how dangerous they are if you encounter one.
10. Watching The Footage
Once the rattlesnake was gone, they were able to watch the surveillance footage. After the fact, they were able to laugh about how ridiculous and hilarious her encounter was. Ariel posted the footage on YouTube so we could all have a laugh with them.
If you ever notice a small cut or wound and you think that you may have gotten bit by a rattlesnake, call the poison center. You may not feel any pain, but it is still extremely dangerous if you get bit. Just because you didn’t hear a rattle, doesn’t mean it wasn’t a rattlesnake.
So, if you are even in doubt, call the Poison Center at 800-222-1222. According to Keith Boesen, director of the Arizona Poison and Drug Information Center, "We will ask a few questions that will help you either identify possible snakebite or eliminate it. With snakebite, the sooner the medical treatment, the better the outcome, so calling us right away can make a very big difference for the victims and the medical teams treating them."
While it is rattlesnake season all year long in places like California and Arizona, July and August is their birthing season. So watch your step during hikes and outdoor activities if you live in areas that have rattlesnakes. And please don’t pick them up if you can avoid it.