In 1974, thirteen months before the Lutz Family moved in, Ronald DeFeo, Jr. murdered six members of his family in this Dutch Colonial home on Long Island. Claiming to have been terrorized by paranormal phenomena while living there, the Lutzes left the house after just 28 days. Their story would become the basis of a book and a horror movie franchise.
Built in 1856, this Greenwich Village brownstone has been nicknamed the "House of Death" because a reported twenty-two former residents have haunted the location over the years. The most famous supposed ghost is Mark Twain, who lived there in 1900.
Owned by Jack and Janet Smurl between 1974 and 1989, this house was reportedly disturbed by a demon that caused "loud noises and bad odors, threw their dog into a wall, shook their mattress, pushed one of their daughters down a flight of stairs, and physically and sexually assaulted Jack on several occasions."
Touted as "the most haunted house in the Midwest," this 16 room mansion was built for Henry Guest McPike and his family in 1869. Long abandoned, visitors have purportedly heard sounds of footsteps, seen apparitions, and experienced objects vanish only to materialize in other odd places of the house.
This plantation is said to be the home of at least a dozen ghosts. Most notably the ghost of William Winter, an attorney who lived in the plantation in the 1860's. After being shot by a stranger, Winter staggered inside the house and died trying to climb the stairs. Today, visitors and employees of the historical site, claim they hear his dying footsteps.
This four-story, 20 room house was built for Hannes Tiedemann, a German immigrant, in 1881. Known for being a loud and mean man, Tiedemann's neighbors believed he was abusive toward his family. These rumors only intensified when four of his children, his mother, his niece, a servant, and his wife all died within 3 years of each other under mysterious circumstances. Today, reported activity consists of vibrating floors, scratching sounds, growling, spinning chandeliers, and a woman dressed in black wandering around the fourth floor. The Franklin Castle is believed to be the most haunted house in Ohio.
Built by Thomas Whaley in 1857, this home has operated as the town courthouse, general store, theater, and morgue. It is purportedly haunted by Whaley family members as well as a man who was hanged on the property before the house was built. Life Magazine has called it "the most haunted house in America."
In the summer of 1912, two adults and six children were found brutally hacked to death in their beds in the middle of the night. The murderer was never found and many believe that the house is now haunted.
The owners of this historical bed and breakfast claim that it has been haunted by as many as 16 ghosts and that each spirit has its own distinct personality and name. The identities of the spirits include a young boy named Jeremy, a former nurse, and several Civil War soldiers. Reported paranormal occurrences include the sound of heavy breathing, blood running down the walls, and a ghost nurse tucking people into bed.
One of America's oldest still working plantations, Boone Hall has a history that dates back to 1681. As one of Charleston South Carolina's most popular tourist attractions, Boone Hall has paranormal activity lurking behind its beautiful setting, too. The most notable is the reported accounts of an apparition removing a bullet out of an injured soldier.
Built by Freelan Oscar Stanley in 1907, The Stanley Hotel is most well known for being the inspiration behind "The Overlook Hotel," the fictional hotel in Stephen King's novel The Shining.
Every room in the hotel has had reports of paranormal activity, including lights turning on and off, objects moving without explanation, and the sound of children running and laughing up and down the hallway. Sometimes guests will be tucked-in at night, as that was the duty of the nannies to perform for the young children.
According to legend, a farmer named John Bell's family came under attack by a witch, a woman who was believed to be named Kate Batts. The haunting began with noises in the walls, accounts of people being slapped and pinched, moving objects, and animals being spooked without visible cause.
Silver tycoon Richard Craig Chambers built the mansion in the 1880's and left it to his nieces when he died 14 years later. One sister reportedly bought the house next door and moved in while
the other sister, Claudia, stayed. Claudia reportedly loved pigs but
met her fate one day when she was nearly cut in half from what her
family called a "farm implementation accident," but others suspected that she was murdered by an insane family member who had escaped from confinement in the attic. The mansion has since become a hotel. Many guests have reported strange occurrences while staying there.
Sarah Winchester is said to have built this eclectic 160 room mansion to protect her from the spirits of all those killed with her late husband's famous line of rifles. Today, the property is believed to be haunted by various ghosts, including Sarah Winchester herself.