It's incredibly tough to fight the urges that come from salty, sugary snacks. But there are ways to bring down the hunger for junk food. Take a look and chew on these 11 tips until it calms down your hunger for an answer.
Swap out the manufactured sweets from those fresh off the farm. You can replace your favorite potato chips with nutritional alternatives like kale and zucchini chips. Sweet potato wedges can also go up our palate's alley while staying healthy.
There’s a lot of people who work by the 80/20 rule — stick to nutritious meals 80 percent of the time, indulge yourself the other 20 percent. It's great because the snacks are already included into the diet plan, so you're not going overboard. Moderation is important, of course, or else you're wasting your entire day’s worth of calories in one meal.
Look at the food label of the what you're about to buy/eat. If it has more than five ingredients, avoid it. This one is a bit harsher for some people, but it can be useful (the number itself is arbitrary depending on item, but it works as a rule of thumb).
Temptation awaits at all time for a tasty snack, but you can resist. It can be as easy as not buying it to begin with, or let people know you're trying to stay healthy. That way you have someone else looking after you when the cravings come.
Examine your eating rituals. Do you eat something straight from the box? Do you pay attention to how much you're eating when you're on your phone? Find the bad parts of your eating routine and get rid of them.
Remember that stress eating has nothing to do with actual hunger. Find the causes of the stress and see how you can fix them. If you can't and still have the cravings, replace them with new forms of pleasure — a long bath, for example.
Look around at what food options are available to you. It doesn't always have to be the local burger joint. Explore around your area — supermarkets, farmers' markets, etc. — and see what healthy options they are offering.
There is a scientific proof that chowing down and pleasure are connected, but it's not real happiness. Remind yourself that eating that cupcake doesn't bring true joy, but seeing one less pound on the weight scale does.
We're about 50-75% water, yet still don't drink enough of it. A study from Virigina Tech showed that two glasses of water before meals cut down to around 100 calories. You're getting a feeling of fullness without adding any calories.
A steady meal schedule helps by making sure you're eating something every 4-5 hours. This keeps you from becoming very hungry and resorting to the first thing that catches your stomach's attention. It also helps in bringing in variety to your diet per day.
Next time you eat keep chewing. It'll help let the body know you're full. If you want proof, Chinese researchers released a report about how chewing affects the amount you eat. Their studies showed that obese volunteers would chew less per bite and rack up more calories.
If you're already cutting down on junk food, remember that you believed in yourself enough to do this, so use that as a boost. Those still considering should look at other goals they've met in their lives and see how they can channel that positive vibe while dropping the candy bar aside.