Coconut water is all the rage these days, together with avocados, matcha and whatever else is weird and healthy. It seems that we’ll try any food trend that is considered "super healthy," "natural" and totally Instagram-worthy. For one woman, however, her healthy food choice turned into a disgusting nightmare.
Kline explained how she became very ill when she found an “octopus-looking thing” in her Vita Coco coconut water. This happened on April 25. The incident led to Kline suffering from diarrhea, vomiting and an asthma attack.
Since the taste was different than usual, Kline thought she had made a mistake. She thought she had bought a different flavor but that was not the case. When the flavor was the one she had wanted, she started to dump it out and found that the liquid coming out had “a whole different color."
Kline had to figure out what was going on inside. She explained how she “took a knife and opened it up, and that’s when I discovered those octopus-looking things.” That is not something you want to see after drinking from that same source.
Kline explained that she purchased her coconut water from her local grocery store. It was in her cupboard for less than a week. Moreover, she had followed the instructions on the packet for refrigeration.
Vita Coco is said to be shelf-stable for up to a year. At least, this is what is said on the company’s website. Once opened, the water must be placed in the fridge and it needs to be consumed within 24 to 48 hours.
Arthur Gallego, Vita Coco’s global director of corporate communications spoke about the incident. “Vita Coco is a preservative-free beverage made from naturally-occurring ingredients. While the consumer has yet to return the product for testing, this looks like typical food spoilage.”
It is “highly unlikely” that the spoilt coconut water will pose a health risk. This is what the Vita Coco representative has said. Moreover, the company believes that the “octopus-like thing” found was mold.
The company has further added a hypothesis on how this mold came to be. “This consumer’s product was likely left opened, improperly refrigerated, or damaged,” the spokesperson has said. “After reviewing the images she has posted, we are confident it is mold growth.”
Kline has also spoken about her allergy to mold, explaining how she is “highly, deadly allergic to mold.” Since drinking the coconut water, Kline has experienced vomiting, diarrhea, and asthma attacks. “I haven’t had an [asthma] attack in like 10 years. Now, all of a sudden I have one?" she said. "God knows if it’s from the mold."
Kline plans to sue Vita Coco after this incident. "I’m not into suing people at all," she explained. "But now, I’m not getting any closure, I’m not getting anything. So yes, now I’m going to take further action. Money is nothing to me right now. My health is more important to me,” she added. “I’m in it for clarification and to know if I just inhaled or drank something that’s deadly. All I want is an answer. I want clarification that I’m okay.”