It seems to be “common knowledge among microbiologists that the things you use to clean your dishes are the dirtiest objects in your home.” Eww. Well, now you know too, even if you’re no microbiologist.
The study suggests that the kitchen sponge hosts “bacterial colonies.” These things are considered to be “a health hazard.” So much so, researchers are now recommending that we throw the thing away every week.
Sponges are a haven for bacteria for a number of reasons. For one thing, a kitchen sponge is usually warm because of the warm water. It’s often wet for obvious reasons and it regularly contains traces of food. Really, we’re presenting bacteria with life on a silver platter.
“Our work demonstrated that kitchen sponges harbor a higher bacterial diversity than previously thought," the authors wrote. 10 of the most common bacteria found in the kitchen sponges had “pathogenic potential.” These include, “Acinetobacter johnsonii, Chryseobacterium hominis, and Moraxella osloensis.”
There was another interesting fact that came out of this study. From results, the researchers found that cleaning the sponge wasn’t as effective as previously thought. Even thorough clean that many swore by.
“Microwaving and boiling sponges can initially reduce about 60 percent of the bacteria on them, according to the study, but won't sterilize them.” Sterilization is the only way to rid anything of bacteria. If this is not happening on the sponge, drastic measures need to be taken...