Best friends Molly DeLuca and her German Shepherd, Haus, had a close call recently. One that resulted in an emergency trip to the vet.
The two of them were playing in the back yard when Haus noticed something disturbing.
He'd seen a rattlesnake in the grass and instinctively began shielding the young girl from its attack.
His brave efforts came at a price, though, and he was bitten several times by the venomous snake. Molly's mom told Fox 13 it had happened very quickly: "Next thing we know is, there's blood and he was limping and crying." Poor Haus!
The DeLucas rushed Haus to BluePearl Veterinary Partners in Tampa, Florida, where he was listed as critical condition. We bet that felt like the longest car journey of their life.
Haus spent days in the ICU recovering from his wounds. He'd been bitten enough times that the snake venom was stubbornly staying in his blood. Get out, venom, you're not welcome here!
The story of the super dog that saved a little girl quickly went viral and his progress was followed on Facebook by thousands of people. Ah, the power of social media!
The DeLucas set up a GoFundMe campaign to help cover the high medical costs and people were into it.
The page raised nearly $53,000, far more than was expected. The generous donations surpassed the cost of treatment and so a large amount of the sum is being donated to Heidi's Legacy Dog Rescue. Aww!
We're very happy to hear that Haus is doing well now and his courageous act has will always be remembered. What a good boy indeed. We love you, Haus!