Your dog is your best friend and your kitty is your favorite furry feline. You would do anything for them and would be devastated if anything happened to them. So, do you know if your home is pet proof and if they are living in an environment that is free of toxins? It’s time to find out.
You may think that your home is safe for your pet to roam around, but according to the Animal Poison Control Center, they received over 167,000 calls about pet poisoning in 2010 alone. Here is a list of the most common pet toxins by state. How many of these products do you have in your home?
Bromethalin is a toxic substance with the sole purpose to kill rats and mice, so you don’t want your little guy anywhere near it. Ingesting even the smallest amount causes immediate damage to the brain and liver. The top affected states were California, Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Rhode Island, Texas, Vermont, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
Ibuprofen may be safe for you to use, but it can cause kidney failure, severe stomach ulcers, seizures, and even death for your pets. To play it safe, keep all medications out of your pets’ reach and never give your pets any medicine unless prescribed by their vet. The top affected states were Arizona, Delaware, Georgia, Illinois, Maryland, Massachusetts, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
We have all heard that the consumption of chocolate can be toxic for pets. According to PetMD, it is the caffeine and theobromine in the chocolate that makes it a lethal treat for your best bud. Ingestion can cause muscle rigidity, vomiting, and cardiac failure. The top affected states were Connecticut, Hawaii, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, Utah and Virginia.
According to PetMD, accidental ingestion of Anticoagulant Rat Bait can lead to “spontaneous and uncontrolled bleeding.” If you have a pet, do not use this rodenticide anywhere near or in your home. The top affected states were Arkansas, Idaho, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma and Wyoming.
Topical flea medications come in many forms such as powders, dips, sprays and spot-treatments. While these products are all effective ways to get rid of fleas, any over application or ingestion can lead to an overdose of the common insecticide, pyrethrin. If you plan to use these products, use only as directed and look out for any warning signs of overdose. The top affected state was Montana.
Oral flea medicines also contain pyrethrin and when ingested can seriously impair your pet’s nervous system. Warning signs of overdose include allergic reactions, diarrhea, and muscle tremors. The top affected state was Alabama.
According to Pet Poison Hotline, nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus are the ingredients that make fertilizers toxic for pets. These ingredients can be harmful when ingested and can result in medical issues such as kidney and liver damage, seizures, and death. Fertilizer is also harmful when coming into contact with an animal’s skin or mucus membranes. The top affected state was Alaska.
Ivermectin is an anti-parasitic drug and is used most commonly to fight against heartworm or mites. According to Vetary, pets can also experience poisoning if they have inherited MDR1, a genetic mutation that is common in sheepdogs, collies, and shepherds. If you own one of these breeds you should speak to your vet before using this drug. The top affected state was Maine.
Permethrin is another chemical that is commonly found in flea medications. According to the National Pesticide Information Center, the ingestion of permethrin can be more dangerous for cats than for dogs because it takes more time for their smaller bodies to break down the chemical. Warning signs for any permethrin overdose can include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy. The top affected state was South Dakota.
Xylitol, a substance that is one of the world’s leading sugar substitutes. The sweetener resembles sugar and is safe for humans but the smallest amount can be deadly to pets when ingested. The top affected state was New Hampshire.
Believe it or not, Vitamin A is safe for your pet in small, controlled amounts and can help regulate nerve function and coat growth. According to VetInfo, however, ingesting too much of the vitamin can cause your pet to develop bone spurs or limb stiffness. The top affected state was Nebraska.
As you can see, in most of the poisoning cases, the hazardous substances were common, everyday household products. Whether they were over-the-counter medications to cleaning supplies, all of these products can easily be found in your home. Because they are safe for us to use, it is easy to forget that they are not safe for you pet and can seriously harm them and even cause death.
According to Interdisciplinary Toxicology, over 90 percent of pet poisonings occur inside the home and are an accident that could have been avoided. So, lock up all of your products and keep them out of reach. You would never forgive yourself if something happened to your furry friend.